Did you know that the human brain processes images 60,000 times faster than text? In today’s hyper-visual world, brands need to relay data and information in a medium that connects with audiences. On average, people only read/process about 28% of the text online. However, people love information, especially stats & figures. Infographic allow you to convert often dense data into a visually appealing and easy to read, understand, and remember piece of content.
For those of us who are not graphic designers by trade, creating an infographic can be a daunting task. Where do you even start?
Five steps to craft your next infographic with ease:
- Collect and organize your data to create a story. What does the data say or what do you want to say using the data? Infographics are essentially visual storytelling—use the data to guide your reader’s journey.
- Determine your goal(s). What knowledge, advise, or insight are you offering? What do you want the audience to take away from the infographic? Keep the content simple and focused to support your end goal. If the content becomes overwhelming consider breaking the infographic into a series or cut information that isn’t as useful or compelling.
- Use impactful illustrations & imagery. It’s time to put away the line-graphs and bar-charts. When designing an infographic you want to articulate the data through a true visual representation, i.e. illustrations. Think about how you can best grab your audience’s attention? Use complementary colors and consistent design elements to convey your message and intrigue the viewer. White space can be your friend! Don’t overload the graphic, rather create balance with scale, symmetry, and empty space.
- Sizing your graphic. Experts suggest a width of 735 pixels to avoid resizing and no more than 5,000 pixels high to avoid reader drop-off.
- Remind viewers to share. You’ve done it! You designed a visual representation of your data that provides value to your audience and are ready to share it online. Before you do, don’t forget to add a CTA at the bottom to encourage readers to share it too.
Infographics are more than fun, easy to digest graphics, they can also support your SEO strategy.
- Did you know 60% of people are visual learners? Infographics allow you to capture the attention of your target audience while simultaneously encouraging sharing of content. When people credit your work through a link back to your website it builds traffic and supports your ranking.
- Due to nature of infographics, they are quick to understand, fun to look at, and easy to share across social media platforms—ultimately driving more traffic to your site.
- Leverage the viral capacity of your infographic to get your logo in front of more people. By adding your company logo to the graphic you will subtly increase your online presence and brand recognition.
Free Infographic Templates & Inspiration
Open Data Sources: